Sunday, April 1, 2012

Me: Exposed Day 3

Saturday.

This morning started off gloriously.  The kids were happy, I was happy... heck, even Sue-Lynn was happy - my BG was 6.1.  That's at least 3 mornings in a row where my wake up BGs were amazing - simply perfect... but my night BGs are high.  From snacks... I always snack in the evening hours.  But on the other hand I can also confirm that my night time correction factor is perfect

For breakfast I made "eggies in a hole" but today it was eggie in a heart for daddy, and eggies in little people for me and the boys.  I can sort of see the outline of the gingerbread cookie shaper in the middle of my mom's homemade bread.  And to drink, blood-red orange juice.  Bolus for the bread and OJ (45 grams) and start getting ready for the Diabetes Expo at the Croatian Center.

I decided to take my JK.er along with me and he did great! He behaved wonderfully.  We picked up lots of magnets and pens and we filled out our SWAG bag full of goodies.  We sat down for the presentation by a representative from the Benting House that is located in London, Ontario.  A very knowledgeable curator from the museum gave the whole spiel on Canada's greatest discovery ("not invention" as he pointed out, "because insulin has always been there, Banting just discovered it").  I was moved to tears when he showed pictures of the first few 3 and 4 year-olds that were put on insulin for the first time.  Previous to their mom's seeking out Banting and offering their children for the trails, these kids were on a starvation diet with calorie intake of max 1000 Cal per day down to 400 cal per day. They were so malnourished; they were skin and bones.  Then it showed a picture one year later of two of the boys and they were both happy-looking plump and healthy.  I put my arm around my JK.er and dabbed at my eyes.  He was playing angry birds on my phone and I couldn't be happier to be the one with the disease and not him.


My Diabetes Nurse Educator was given a prestigious award at the EXPO.  I am so proud of her.  As I've mentioned before my DNE is amazing.  She has kept me on the ball and gotten me back on the straight and narrow.  I am so thankful to have her on my ENDO team.











The EXPO served some veggies and sandwiches.  I tested and my sugar was 6.7  I was so excited.  I wanted to show it to someone because I felt it was a small accomplishment.  I high-fived my JK.er instead.  He was the one that helped me test this time.  My boys insist on taking turns "pricking" my finger.  So the Toddler got to use the lancette device at breakfast and now my JK.er had his opportunity at lunch.

We had to leave and head over to a birthday party for one of my JK.er's classmates.  There was a clown, animal balloons,  snacks, cake, presents and a stubborn piñata.  Both my JK.er and the Toddler attended and we all had a good time.  The birthday girl is one of his little buddies.  More snacks, and a bit of cake.



By dinner time I tested and had another perfect BG - 6.1.  I made sirloin burgers and we had them with mozza cheese, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard.  More blood orange juice for a drink.  I bolused for those, another 50 g and get to tidying up the house.





Finally around 7 pm I went to the movie store with the kids and came back with Hannah, Franklin and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  I already have CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE rented.  That will be tomorrow night's movie.

I grab a spoon and scoop some nutella on it.  My favorite dessert.  I didn't bolus for it and around midnight my sugar is 9.1 appropriately.  I can't believe how fantastic today was.  I was a good good good diabetic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment