Monday, April 2, 2012

Me: Exposed - Day 4

Sunday.

Before heading to bed on Saturday night I test and I am 9.4  Again with the slightly elevated night time sugars... but again we were TVing and I was snacking.  Not a bad reading... But still I correct the "high" with some insulin and go to bed.  (Just a side note, in the past 3 days I have started considering 9.4 a high?!  Wow, I'm rocking this!)

Kids wake me up at the new wake up time in our house 8:05.  This has been happening for the past week or so and I am not complaining at all. I wake up with a BG of 4.0 - woot woot!  Take insulin for the Mini-Wheats, almonds and FAT milk (as in 3.25... HOMO... I know. I know.  We decided to buy it for the kids... and it's so delicious. Who can say no and drink watered down version?)  65 g of carbs with Dual Wave - half now, half over the next hour.  We get ready for church and make it 10 min late.  (I have to do something about killing the White Rabbit.  It has got to stop.  But alas I have bigger fish to fry for now...)

After church we head over to Colasanti's, a tropical nursary garden complete with mini-golf, a restaurant and a petting zoo.  Toddler falls asleep on the way when we get there we are tiptoeing around trying not to wake him.  I test in the car because I don't feel great and I'm acting weird - on edge.  I am 9.4  Hm.  Weird.  I don't correct, and I don't know why.  

We head over to the buffet, pay and grab a sticky table.  I'm immediately not impressed.  Really?  It wasn't sticky from someone's jam that wasn't wiped off, it was the kind of sticky that was grime.  I tried to "change my attitude" as close friends of us always tell their kids, and be grateful for lunch together with my family.

The food was good.  I'm usually bad at buffets.  But today I was good.  I grabbed salad, cucumbers and tomatoes, beets (I know, right?), one skinny slice of veggie pizza and two baby roasted potatoes.  My JK.er punked one of my potatoes (so he has something to dip ketchup in, he said) and so I ate all the salad, half of the pizza and one of the baby roasted potatoes.  When my Toddler woke up, Hubby fed him the rest of my pizza and I headed for the dessert table.  I usually grab fruit and one or two sweet desserts (usually brownie or something equally rich).  I am not afraid to bolus a second time for dessert.  That's just how I roll.

But this time it wasn't necessary.  I barely had any carbs at lunch.  The bolus I took was for 80 g carbs (I did take the bolus when we first down at the sticky table... I know it seems like I was planning for "a lot of carbs" but we were at a buffet.)  I took it over the next hour and so now at dessert time I was ready to wonder over and browse the selection...  I grabbed one brownie square, half of a chocoalte cake piece with raspberries on top, and an old fashioned donut COVERED IN SUGAR. Hubby laughed when I came back with my little plate.  He helped himself to a bite of everything and agreed that my selection was great.  Overall, lunch was a success.  Minus the sticky table.


While my Hubby and JK.er play a round of mini-golf, the Toddler and I head over to the nursery garden to find something for my office at the bank.  I'm looking for a Bonzi tree but their selection is limited so we browse other areas instead.

I finally settle on a Stephanotis plant and now that mini-golf has ended and their time in the arcade is up, our Toddler is a mess.  He is crying and whinning and we take that as our cue to leave.  Head for the exits.

He cries all the way home and we put him to bed STAT.  Hubby lays down with him in our bedroom while I hang out with the Toddler.

That evening I make Upside-down German Apple Pancake - a recipe out of America's Test Kitchen.  It turns out great and the four of us devour it.  Immediately after I eat I test.  (A little backwards this time, eh?) and I am 11.3...  I did have a few bites about 15 min ago as I was rounding up the troops for "vecera" (a Slavic word for snack before bed).  Either way, I correct and take enough insulin for 70 g of carbs (something I will regret later).  I eat almost 2 of those slices of "pancake".

Kids go to bed (well they don't "go", we put them to it... I look forward to the day when they will "go to bed"... for now, routines save me.  Pee, brush teeth, sticker - for brushing teeth - PJs, book, pray, night-night.)

Hubby and I settle in for CRAZY STUPID LOVE and half way through I feel my tongue get funny.  I tell hubby I am crashing and he goes upstaris to retrive my tester and a couple juice boxes.  I test and BG is 2.6  Yikes.  Over-shot that insulin for the German evil pancake.  Ok it wasn't evil.  It was delicious.  I just really didn't want to spike from it (since it's all white flour and sugar... well the sugar was brown... but it's all the same).

I down the juice box and we finish the movie without any more interruptions from Sue-Lynn.  Before midnight I have to grab something to eat.  The juice box won't be enough and I don't want to crash in the night.  I have half of a piece of the pancake (LOL) and then go to bed.

Today was not so bad.  Not as fantastical as yesterday.  But still a win.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebeca, Don't you just wish all recipes came with a carb count. That is usually where I get messed up by either over/under estimating carbs on homemade things...which are supposed to be better than pre made processed!! Btw I think you are doing great and find what you are doing inspiring. I look forward to reading this daily :)

    ReplyDelete