Saturday, March 31, 2012

Me: Exposed - Day 2

Friday

Today was different than yesterday.  But isn't everyday?  I had low after low after low.  It left me completely drained.  I am at the end of the day and I feel like I've ran a marathon.

I went to bed just after 2 am.  My sugar was 11.9 from finishing off my JK.er's smoothie and then his hot chocolate too.  It was really a few gulps... of each.  Who's gonna take insulin for that?  I guess I should have 'cause I spiked... Anyways, took a correction of 2.9 units and went to bed.

I woke up with an amazing BG of 6.7.  I rewarded myself with a bowl of Vanilla Almond - Special K.  I got the JK.er on the bus for school and walked the Toddler to Apko's house.  Meanwhile Hubby tinkers with the minivan and fixes the flat tire from the night before.

I half-jog back hom,  and bolus for the cereal I had 45 min ago.  I decide to do a DUAL WAVE (half the insulin up front and half over the next 1 hour).

I get ready for work in a whirlwind and I somehow make it on time for 9:30.  There's a storm coming but I don't sense it.  I go into work and launch into a busy morning.  I don't stop to breathe until close to noon.  The office has snacks again. Almond chocolate bars cut up in perfect bite-size pieces right by the photocopier next to a box of Timbits.  I hate and love snacks.  Alright, I love them, Sue-Lynn hates them.

I don't want a repeat of yesterday so I bolus for the snacks. I grabbed only two or three bites of the chocolate and 2 Honey Cruller Timbits.  Harmless really... right? I am due to grab my lunch in 15 min when in from the rain storm walks-in a walk-in.  I take the appointment expecting it to last 15 - 20 min tops.  The client keeps me in my office right through lunch.  I start crashing.  I am embarrassed to test so I try to plow through it.  I honestly start not making sense.  I am staring at the computer screen and I am having a lot of trouble concentrating.  I see spots.

I finally tell my client, "I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have to down a juice box.  I'm Type 1 Diabetic and if I don't get some sugar in me soon, it won't be pretty."  My client is young and so I don't really care what she thinks.  She makes the "I'm so sorry" face and throws me some pity.  I try to ignore it.    We end the appointment and I finally go to lunch 1 1/2 hours late.  My head is pounding.  I go next door for Chicken Shwarma and test.  I'm at 3.4.  Feeling horrible...I bolous and get back to work.

Back in my office,  I feel like laying down on the carpet and taking a nap.  My BGs have rocked me today.

The same tone carries for the rest of the evening, even after I arrive home.  I find that having a low or two kills me.   Even if I recover, even if I bounce back, I am still a mess for the rest of the day.  I feel the same with highs.

If I get on that roller-coaster at any point throughout the day I cannot put my feet back on the ground and walk a straight line.  The day is a write off.

So here's to a day that I've basically lost.  Today I arrived home and played a bit with the boys and snuggled and watched a movie with Hubby after they went to bed.  But I felt pretty horrible and was really struggling to stay with it.  I do not have the option to throw in the towel, to say I'm going to take a quick nap.  I was already away for most of the day - there is no way I can ask Apko to watch the kiddies for another 2 hours while I lay down or while I pick myself off the floor.

There is a book that my JK.er likes me to read to him.  It's a book about bedtime called "Pick up and Put Away".  On one page it says bedtime means, "... it's time to take pity on papas and mamas".  I sometimes find myself just counting down to the end of the day.  Not because my boys are such a burden or because they are hard to parent.  They are wonderful.  They make me so happy and seeing myself and my Hubby in them is the most rewarding part.  Sometimes I stop and stare at my JK.er - "That's a little me, in a boy version." And my Toddler - through and through my Hubby.  I think I am looking forward to the end of the day as a whole.  Some days.  Not all days.  But days like today are a perfect example.



No comments:

Post a Comment